NAME: Daniel (Dan) Jones
Since I was around 5-6 years old, so about 15 years.
My dad was quite the international bowler in his day, so I just kinda followed in his footsteps.
I prefer to play backend, so 3rd/Skip. But I?ll go where I?m needed most.
Anything bowls and I?m in. Though pairs has always taken my interest more, because having 4 bowls at your disposal and then your partners bowls, always leads to interesting games.
Probably would have to be representing Wales both indoor and outdoor, and leading the boys to a good few games against the other home nations.
Well I?m still in the lineup for the Welsh teams but because of my studies I can never make the home practises or games. Though I still play the occasional county game or national comp when I go home to see the family.
I try my best to practise at least 3/4 times a week. It?s harder because I?m in university a lot, but I still try.
A quick one, definitely. Probably like most I was brought up playing on grass, but the outdoor carpet, I feel is the way the sport should be going.
I live in the centre of Birmingham.
Well I?m a musician by trade, so you?ll either see me practising my music or my bowls. Or the pub.
In bowls ? probably to get placed in the commonwealth squad or to get through to the World Bowls Finals. In life ? I?d say to get to travel the world, making and sharing music.
NAME: Joan Garner
1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING?
I began crown green bowling in the late 80's. I then joined
Erdington Court in 1990.
2.HOW DID YOU START?
My husband introduced me to the crown at the Green Man, Harborne. His team mate from Sutton Park, Richard Brittan, introduced me to
Erdington Court in 1991.
3..WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOWLS POSITION?
. 4. DO YOU PREFER SINGLES, PAIRS, TRIPLES OR FOURS?
I like all but fours.
5. WHAT IS THE GREATEST SUCCESS THAT YOU HAVE HAD IN BOWLS?
In crown green it's representing the County over 100
times. My most proud achievement has been on flat green.
In 2007 I was thrilled to be selected for England to play in the Home Internationals
at Llandrindod Wells.
6. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST LEVEL COMPETITION THAT YOU CURRENTLY PLAY IN?
I no longer play the 'circuit ' in either crown or
flat. I am happy enough playing league and friendlies.
7. HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY/PRACTICE PER WEEK?
Crown - 2/3 times and flat rink probably 1/2 times. I hardly ever practice, only when a match is coming up and i haven't played for a while.
8. WHAT AREA DO YOU LIVE IN?
Four Oaks, SUTTON COLDFIELD
9. WHAT OTHER HOBBIES DO YOU HAVE?
Gardening, when my back allows!!
I love watching all sports. I am a member of Edgbaston Cricket Club and , until recently a season ticket holder of Manchester United. Now I just follow them from my armchair.
10. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST UNFULFILLED AMBITION?
I really cannot think of anything..A back injury at PE college robbed me of a trial with the England netball team. My dream to represent my country eventually came true 40 years later!!
NAME: ANTONY GOULD
2.HOW DID YOU START? Introduced by my uncle who also plays.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOWLS POSITION? 3/4
4. DO YOU PREFER SINGLES, PAIRS, TRIPLES OR FOURS? Pairs
5. WHAT IS THE GREATEST SUCCESS THAT YOU HAVE HAD IN BOWLS? Winning Birmingham Bowls Association 2 Wood Singles
6. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST LEVEL COMPETITION THAT YOU CURRENTLY PLAY IN? Indoor County Level
7. HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY/PRACTICE PER WEEK? 3-4 times
8. WHAT AREA DO YOU LIVE IN? Sutton Coldfield
9. WHAT OTHER HOBBIES DO YOU HAVE? Fishing
10. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST UNFULFULLED AMBITION? Representing Warwickshire Outdoor.
NAME: MARK IRELAND
2. HOW DID YOU START? Crown was with late father Ron whom first played at IMI Kynochs, started with a few jacks at around the age of 2/3, after the matches finished - and then joined Sutton Park and flat outdoors through Richard Brittan at Tamworth for 1 season before joining Erdington Court.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOWLS POSITION? Skip
4. DO YOU PREFER SINGLES, PAIRS, TRIPLES OR FOURS? Singles (wife said I could not answer threesomes!)
5. WHAT IS THE GREATEST SUCCESS THAT YOU HAVE HAD IN BOWLS? Crown green was winning the Somers Open floodlit in 1999 and representing the county at both junior and senior level, Flat winning the county triples with Rob Robinson and Richard Brittan after they had lost in 6 previous finals and making a 400 mile trip to play on finals day. Playing Middleton cup for county and also getting to Bowls England National quarter finals in singles 4 wood and 2 wood. Won national Civil Service singles, pairs, triples and fours skipping all formats.
6. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST LEVEL COMPETITION THAT YOU CURRENTLY PLAY IN? Warwickshire County Middleton Cup - play lead.
7. HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY/PRACTICE PER WEEK? Once competitions have started 5/6 days a week
8. WHAT AREA DO YOU LIVE IN? Hodge Hill
9. WHAT OTHER HOBBIES DO YOU HAVE? Golf, snooker, poker, CAMRA member and country walks.
10. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST UNFULFILLED AMBITION? Win a Bowls England National title